FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT
· Employment Type: 1 – 3 years fixed term contract (renewable)
· Hours: 35 hours per week
· Remuneration: Subject to experience
· Location: London
· Responsible to: Chief Executive
· Responsible for: N/A
Purpose of the Post:
The post-holder will play a key role in the operation of the Charity and its projects. As well as undertaking general admin tasks under the guidance of the Chief Executive, the post-holder has particular responsibility for three key areas: office administration, financial administration and maintaining policies, procedures & records.
Main Responsibilities: CEO Support
1) Arrange quarterly Trustee meetings, receive agenda items from other trustees/staff, prepare agendas in consultation with Chief Executive and circulate agendas, supporting papers and reports in good time.
2) Make arrangements for meetings:
· Booking the room /video conferencing
· Facilities for those with special needs
3) Check that a quorum is present, compile and take detailed minutes.
4) Circulate the draft minutes to all trustees, ensure that the minutes are signed by the chair once they have been approved.
5) To produce correspondence, reports and confidential documents in consultation with the Chief Executive.
6)Complete ad hoc requests from the Chief Executive in a timely manner.
7) Answer telephone and transfer caller to the appropriate member of staff. Ensure that enquiries are dealt with and appropriate information is relayed.
8) Respond to, sort and file all incoming and outgoing correspondence with donors, trustees, staff, volunteers, media and the public.
9) Supply and manage office equipment such as stationery supplies.
10) Set up and maintain credit accounts with preferred suppliers, compile a database of such suppliers.
11) To maintain and develop procedures and systems to ensure the maintenance of manual and electronic filing systems.
Maintaining Policies, Procedures and Records
12) Ensure overview and compliance for Policies and Procedures and flag up any non-compliance with Chief Executive. These include data protection, health & safety, finance, extremism, equal opportunities & child protection.
13) Maintain personnel file of staff and volunteers including contracts, agreements, proof of identity and proof of address.
14) Maintain the records of holiday allowance and holidays taken by each member of staff.
15) Maintain sickness records for staff.
16) Assist the department heads and project leads in the preparation of Risk Assessments.
17) Manage the filing, sign off and review of the Risk Assessments.
18) Maintaining project files including personal data, monitoring and evaluation forms and reports.
19) Inputting and maintaining project data on electronic systems.
20) Producing monthly reports from electronic systems as required by the Chief Executive.
21) Reconcile transactions on cashbook from bank statements and ensure that all accounts balance.
22)Tracking income and expenditure on cashbook with project and department codes as agreed with Chief Executive.
23) Checking, processing and recording all payments, administer invoices and expenses claims received, code items to agreed budgets, and action payments.
24) Maintain the expenditure folder with completed and signed authorisation forms accompanying each invoice, volunteer, expense and travel claims.
25) Checking and processing one-off and recurring donations, updating donors database, filing hardcopy donation forms, sending donation receipts, and resolving queries.
26) Reconciling recurring donations on donors database from bank statement, investigating and resolving discrepancies by liaising with bank and donor.
27) Contacting lapsed recurring donors by email, phone, letter and invite them to continue giving to the charity.
28) Maintain income folders for processed donation forms, receipts from merchant account services and any other payment providers.
29) Maintain electronic income folder for downloaded Justgiving, MyDonate, Paypal and any other provider’s reports.
30) Checking and filing monthly gift aid claims with HMRC, maintain file of all submissions.
31) Contacting donors to obtain a final answer on gift aid declaration and updating hardcopy and electronic records.
32) Petty cash handling and weekly Bank run.
33) Ensure that all financial reporting obligations are met in relation to annual return and annual report submissions.
34) Make monthly reports to the Chief Executive on income, expenditure and any variations from budgets.
35) Provide information requested to accountant as and when required.
FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT
E = Essential D= Desirable
a) Qualified to Degree standard or equivalent (D)
a)Experience of working or volunteering within charity sector for 1 year (E)
b) Working in an administrative/secretarial role (E)
c) Development and maintenance of effective administrative systems (E)
d) Experience in overseeing the development of policies and similar documents (D)
a) Complex admin problem solving skills (E)
b) Strong IT skills including MS word, MS excel & databases (E)
c) Taking accurate and detailed Minutes (E)
d) Strong written and spoken English including high level interpersonal skills (E)
e) Attention to detail (E)
f) Drafting and Report writing skills (D)
a) Understand and manage risks (E)
b) Highly organised with strong time management skills and ability to prioritise workload and work to deadlines under pressure (E)
c) Willingness to work outside normal work hours (E)
a) A firm grasp of orthodox Islamic knowledge with core beliefs and practices in line with orthodox Islam (E)
b) Understanding of equalities and diversity, best practice and legislative requirements of correct financial management (D)
c) Knowledge of Charity Law, and the governance of charitable organisations (D)
a) Chief Executive
b) Board of Trustees
c) Staff and volunteers
a) Commitment to Islamic Network’s mission, vision and values (E)
b) Commitment to Islamic Network’s ethos (E)
c) Commitment to equality of opportunity and diversity (E)
The role is formally defined by the Trustees of the Islamic Network and is not necessarily restricted by the above description.
This job description is designed to give an over-view of the job. It is envisaged that the post-holder will use their own initiative and develop the job so the Charity aims are achieved. It should be noted that the Charity is a small organisation and it may be necessary to step beyond the areas outlined above to support others.
Islamic Network is an Equal Opportunities Employer and reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate people with disabilities.